Tuesday, January 10, 2012

'Twas two weeks AFTER Christmas


I just finished this quilt on Sunday. Obviously too late to put out for this Christmas, but at least I'm ahead for next Christmas. After I made the table runner, I decided that I didn't want to put the fabrics back in the stash and I had already decided I would make this pattern as a Christmas quilt sometime. I went into it knowing that it would be all but impossible to finish up in time. Between holiday parties, shopping for presents, wrapping and baking, I didn't get in too much sewing.


My free motion quilting is improving too. I had fun quilting those flowers. This is the most applique I've ever done.


I'm proud of myself for exercising the principle of make do or do without. All fabrics are from my stash. It was a stretch with a couple of them. One of the dark circle backgrounds had to be pieced together. I used every last bit of that striped fabric. The middle sashing strip is going in the opposite direction of the rest, but I had no more to cut from. The binding only overlapped by 3 inches in the end. That's cutting it close! I even pieced the batting and did a two tone backing. I already had the thread too. (The reason I could do this is probably because I've totally over indulged in fabric buying in the past. Something I need to be much more mindful of. Money doesn't grow on trees, after all.)

Quilt details:
Pattern: Soulful Blossoms from Living Large 2 by Heather Peterson
Size: 48"x48"
Fabrics: started with the leftovers from the table runner, added all from my stash

No comments :